Sourced from family-owned plantations high in the mountains of Colombia, our guilt-free organic palm oil offers the best of the palm without endangering the rainforests or the Orang-utans that inhabit them. High in the antioxidant vitamin E (alpha tocopherol) and vitamin K, palm oil aids in the repair of dry, rough skin. Vitamin E is also recognised for its proven ability to help retain moisture in the skin while the high levels of vitamin K can aid in the repair of skin cells and damaged capillaries, helping tissue to heal.
"The discovery [of palm oil] could make the ingredient a useful alternative to treat a host of skin care conditions such as eczema, dermatitis or acne that can often permanently scar or damage the skin," Musalmah Mazlan, study leader on the effects of palm oil, University of Kebangsaan, Malaysia
Our organic palm oil is supplied by a member and sponsor of the Round Table on Sustainable Palm Oil, a worldwide organisation of palm growers, refiners and importers who are committed to sustainability. To find out more click here
Palm oil and tocotrienol
Palm oil is the largest natural source of tocotrienol, part of the vitamin E family. Palm oil is also high in vitamin K. According to studies carried out at the University of Kebangsaan, palm oil has several potent healing and protecting qualities, as explained below.
Anti-aging / cosmetics and personal care
- Preferentially accumulates at the strata corneum of the skin. First line of defense against free radicals generated in the skin by UV/ozone rays. Prevention of skin aging and damage by oxidative rays. Being a more potent antioxidant, the tocotrienols neutralise free radicals at a faster rate and hence protect tocopherols.
- Protection against UV-induced skin damage and skin aging.
- Tocotrienols topically applied onto the skin were found to penetrate rapidly through the skin and the highest concentrations are found in the uppermost five microns.
- Tocotrienol-treated skin contained vitamin E at concentration 7-30 fold higher than control values.
- Tocotrienol augments the efficacy of sunscreens containing compounds that reduce penetration of or absorb ultraviolet radiation.
Other Interesting functions of Palm oil and tocotrienol
Anti-cancer and tumour suppressant
- Palm based tocotrienols have shown to inhibit human breast cancer cells irrespective of estrogen receptor status.
- Delta-tocotrienol was found to be the most effective tocotrienol in inducing apoptosis (cell death) in estrogen-responsive and estrogen-nonresponsive human breast cancer cells.
- Confers anti-cancer properties.
- Inhibits tumor growth of certain cancers.
- Alpha-tocotrienol and gamma-tocotrienol have shown to prolong the life span of cancer-infected mice.
- Gamma-tocotrienol is three times more potent in inhibiting growth of human breast cancer cultured cells than Tamoxifen.
Potent natural super-antioxidant
- Alpha-tocotrienol has been shown to be 40 - 60 times more potent than alpha-tocopherol as an antioxidant in the prevention of lipid peroxidation.
- Delta-tocotrienol is the most potent antioxidant (highest antioxidant potency) of all commercially available tocotrienols and has been shown to be the most effective tocotrienol in inhibiting human breast cancer and liver cancer cells.
- Effective antioxidant in the prevention of protein oxidation and lipid peroxidation after strenous exercise for athletes, joggers and body builders.